Windows Version

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Hi,  I'd like to port this to a Surface or touchscreen, and I'm wondering what would be involved in getting this running on Windows itself?  I see that there are windows libraries in addtion to the Windows 7 ones.  Would I have to build the screens/UI again to have this work for Windows, or is there an easier/suggested way?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  I'm mostly looking for pointers/steps at this point so I have an idea of how much work is involved.

Joe Farro (Jfarro)

Developer
Aug 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Hi Joe,

The main thing you would need to do is replace the Touch input system with libraries that work on Windows/Surface. Unfortunately the XNA Touch library doesn't work there. The standard windows ones should support all of the required gestures, and it is just a matter of replicating the logic using the new libraries inside the GUI system. (All input runs through there, or through the individual Screens)

Past that, the game is engineered around the specs of WP7 devices, so all of the art (and some internal code) works around the WP7 screen resolution. You would need to find those parts and change them to either a dynamic resolution system or whatever you need for your target device.

Those should be the only two areas you need to change, as far as I can remember at least. The Windows libraries are there to allow the Content Pipeline extension to operate properly, as it references some of the game types, and those need to be in Windows class libraries. They are just clones of the WP7 versions.

Michael